How to love, nurture and protect your inner child.
Website design and content copyright © John Bligh Nutting and Growing Awareness Pty Ltd - 2001 -2016 All rights reserved World wide
DISCLAIMER: Growing Awareness Pty Ltd as publishers of this web-site and John Bligh Nutting as author do not dispense or recommend medical or psychiatric advice, nor prescribe the use of any technique as a form of treatment for any diagnosable medical or psychiatric condition. Any such action should only be taken by you as your personal choice and either directly or indirectly on the advice of a physician or a qualified therapist.
I love this, and it is so true. This version was adapted from a similar list of rules, as quoted in "Chicken Soup for the Soul" - Cherie Carter-Scott. - and from another version I bought printed on a tea-towel in a shop in Juneau Alaska. There are obviously many variations and I have no idea who the original author might have been. If you do know, please e-mail me at email@example.com as I would like to acknowledge them for their contribution to our understanding of life and learning about life.
Rules for the School of Life
1. You are enrolled in a full-time informal school called Life. Each day you will have the opportunity to learn lessons. You may like the lessons or think your assignments are stupid and irrelevant but each one has a purpose that is special for you.
2. An assignment will be repeated until you have learned that lesson. Do you find yourself experiencing the same (unpleasant) event again and again? One of your current learning projects is to discover whatever you need to do so it either stops happening or no longer affects you .
3. New assignments and projects may appear before you are ready, but you will only learn from them when you are ready - If you are not, you will do whatever you need to do to avoid learning - That may be how it has to be for the present. Don’t worry, when you are truly ready they will be presented again.
4. Your assignments will be presented to you in various forms - There are no coincidences. Whatever is going on around you is happening today because it’s part of your lesson for today.
5. Any task that presents you with a difficult question will offer teachers to help you. The best teachers guide you towards a number of choices rather than one ‘right’ answer. They will help you decide for yourself which answers will work best for you in the long run.
6. There are no mistakes, only lessons. - Growing is a process of experimenting, of trial and error. You can discover as much from a ‘failed’ experiment as you can from the experiment that ultimately ‘works’.
7. Learning lessons does not end. - There is no part of life that does not contain its lessons. Once you have learned one lesson you move on to the next one. If you are still alive, there are still new lessons to be learned.
8. Learning and growing means moving from “here” to “there”. - But once your last “there” has become your new “here”, you will be given another “there” that will again be better than “here”.
9. Others are mirrors of you. - If you love, desire, hate or reject something about another person it reflects something you love, desire, hate or reject about yourself. Learning to see this clearly is one of the greatest lessons of all.
10. The answers to Life’s problems are already inside you. All you need to do is look, listen and trust. You have all the tools and resources you need. What you do with them is up to you. What you make of your life is up to you and how you do it is your choice.
11. You will forget all this, until you realise that learning these rules is also one of your lessons.
Original author unknown
Adapted from a similar list of rules, as quoted in “Chicken Soup for the Soul” by Cherie Carter-Scott
ORIGINAL AUTHOR UNKNOWN adapted here with full acknowledgement
Rules for the School of Life
|Stories and fables for Inner Children|
|AdverseChildhoodExperiences ACE survey|
|Your Inner Village and its Characters|
|Little Alan's Christmas|
|Muddled Magic and the Little Trauma Witch|
|Why tell stories rather than talk psychology?|
|Self Defeating RSDP|
|DTD Developmental Trauma Disorder|
|Is it Safe for me to Change|
|Personal or Impersonal|
|School of Life|
|Which Comes first|
|The Path and the Holes|
|More About John Nutting|